Monday, June 2, 2008

Free Write-Literature and new literature

This is rather random, but I've been thinking about literature and what we think of when we write new literature. I've been thinking that nothing is really new. It's like saying that "I am completely my own person" without looking at who you were raised by and where your bloodline comes from. Sorry genetic history and examples around you matter. So when we write whose to say the are not subconsciously using other sources, other literature read, influence our own styles and subjects. In fact the majority of the writers that are considered the greats were very well read. So where am I going with this? We'll I feel like there is this idea that you have to be completely your own, but first of all it is unobtainable and second unnessesary. We will all be effected by what we read even if it doesn't seem like we are so why act like were self made writers. Besides isn't there value in using others as our examples and having something to compare to and to learn from? Its rather like geneology. When we look at what we have read it is like the family line as we start to create our own works, there is a little something from everywhere. So I say we embrace our heritage and acknowledge that, yes, we are all creative, but we are absolutely not self made. Our own styles are ours but only after we see what else is out there and make different parts our own.

No comments: