Monday, May 19, 2008

Using Kincaid's Essay for my own

When I joined the Kahuku football team I was a senior in High School I went from fan to family. The Kahuku I knew smashed oppenents by fifty points and walked through the Hawaii leagues with a special swagger, the king in its class. It was fascinating because I was a well know, some would say crazy fan before that season. Decked in Red and white paint with a visable "K" on my bare chest I would cheer our boys to victory while entertaining a faithful crowd who loved good fanhood. My school pride was even richly rewarded with many class office titles and even an adorning of the coveted "most spirited" award. Still, I had never worn the sports jersey through school, all day on the fridays before the game and walked with the knowledge that I would be facing another team on the field of battle in a few hours. While I had pride in my school I had never had to preserve the pride of my school. In joining with these other warriors my understanding of it was bound to change forever.

No comments: